- North Shore Overlord
- About the North Shore Overlord
- Course Map
- Save-On / PriceSmart Foods Feed Zone
- Rules and Guidelines
- The Fine Print
- 2011 Results
- Fernie GPS Gravity Enduro
- flaik GPS
Rules and Guidelines
- THE NORTH SHORE OVERLORD is a six hour SOLO or CORPORATE TEAM (3-5 person) endurance mountain bike race. (Corporate team-members must ride together for the duration of the race.)
- Rather than racing from point A to point B, riders will choose their own route on the sanctioned trails of Mt. Fromme.
- Racers will be provided with a flaikTM GPS / GSM tag which will provide real time feedback to race HQ regarding the progress of all riders on course. Each rider will carry one tag.
- Progress will be monitored by flaikTM for the duration of the event, and posted on the leader board throughout the day. Results will be announced at the awards ceremony held after the allotted time (6 hours).
- There are multiple ways to win: a) accumulate the MOST MILEAGE in your category (corporate teams compete for the ICEBREAKER MERINO CHAMPIONSHIP JERSEY); b) post the fastest climb on THE CLIF BAR HILL CLIMB between the 3rd and 5th switchbacks; c) post the fastest time on THE RACE FACE SUPER D (Seventh Secret, Leppard, Krickum Krankum, Cedar, Griffen); d) post the fastest time on THE DRIFT INNOVATION DOWNHILL held on Floppy Bunny; e) achieve the fastest speed in the SWAGMAN BIG RING RIP or; f) the COVE BIKE TOP SPEED contest; or, g) post the fastest time on the MEC-spresso Women’s DH.
- The race will begin with a staggered start. Racers will depart from the second gate on the Mt. Fromme fire road once every 15 seconds. From their time of departure, each team will be allowed six (6) hours to race.
- No shuttling allowed. This is an endurance race. Racers found using motorized vehicles will be disqualified from the race.
All sanctioned trails on Mt. Fromme and the fire road (for ascending only) are fair game. See COURSE for details.
Any travel on illegal trails, or on paved roads will not count.
Repeating trails (doing laps) is not permitted and mileage accumulated on repeated trail coverage will not count toward cumulative mileage. Some exceptions exist (ie: connector trails such as the Baden Powell, Roadside, and King of the Shore – climbing only).
Most (all) trails on Mt. Fromme are steep, technical and contain many natural and man-made technical trail features. All riders should be expert level and ideally should have experience riding on North Shore style mountain bike trails.
No pets allowed.
No smoking either.
- Travel at a safe pace.
- Pass with safety in mind. When travelling on single-track, do not pass a moving rider. Riders should pass by declaring their intention to pass, and then allowing the rider ahead to stop.
- All riders must wear helmets. Other padding, such as knee pads, elbow pads, full face helmets and body armour is recommended.
Support and First Aid
- There will be a feed station, shade tent, and a first aid station at second gate.
- There will also be a repair station with repairs done on a first come first serve basis.
- First Aid attendants will be roaming the field on bikes, and posted at the second gate.
- Teams may arrange their own support at any of the access points on Mt. Fromme, including bike swaps, lunch, or fresh socks.
- The gate at the top of Mt. Highway will be closed and locked, limiting vehicle access for the safety of racers.